Among our 15 divisions, the Department of Medicine pushes the frontiers of medical research across clinical, lab, and community-based settings.
We don’t just lead with what research we do, but also with how we do it: maintaining commitments to community, communication, diversity, and health equity with every step. Our faculty lead more than 70 labs at the leading edge of disciplinary study, and our community partnerships build collaborative relationships for research and care in clinics across the Bay Area.
From our research centers in Palo Alto, to the rest of California, to the world, the Department of Medicine brings new ideas to research every day.
What Research Means to Us
- 90 basic scientists
- 200 clinical translational investigators
- Supported by more than $200M in sponsored research a year
- Research across every Department of Medicine division
- High quality, rigorous, and impactful research
- Incredible resources to assist clinical researchers
- A growing health system with research integration
- Leadership that supports a community of collaboration, innovation, quality, and compliance
Together, We Commit
to pursuing cutting edge research that strengthens our core mission to prevent, diagnose, and treat all aspects of human disease and striving to provide compassionate and pioneering health care to all of our patients. We aim to advance both the knowledge of the subjects we research and the means by which we promote diversity and health equity in our research activities.