The Department of Medicine is committed to setting the highest standards for patient care, ground-breaking biomedical research, professional education, teaching, and training.
We are devoted to advancing the science of medicine by developing new methods to prevent, diagnose, and treat all aspects of human disease and strive to provide compassionate and pioneering health care to all of our patients.
Founded in 1909, the Department of Medicine has been a leader in education, leadership, discovery, and excellence. Take a peek at the Department's achievements over the past 100 years.
- Stanford Medicine ranked second among all medical schools in the nation, according to the 2018 U.S. News & World Report.
- The School’s Internal Medicine program tied for 11th.
- Clinical faculty has over 170,000 patient visits per year.
- Department of Medicine researchers have been consistently recognized for their impact and contributions. Among the faculty are:
- 4 members of the National Academy of Sciences; 3 members of the Institute of Medicine; 4 members of the National Academy of Medicine; 29 members of the Association of American Physicians; and 45 members of the American Society of Clinical Investigation.
- The Department also has 3 recipients of the NIH Innovator, Pioneer, and Young Innovator Awards.
- The Department has 16 fellowships for nearly 150 fellows who are training in Internal Medicine and its subspecialties.
By the Numbers (as of Jan 2019)
- 15 Divisions
- 606 Faculty (107 University Tenured and Nontenured Line, 116 Medical Center Line, 330 Clinical Educators, 38 Instructors, 15 Emeritus)
- 30 Endowed Professors
- 920 Staff & Research Associates (586 Staff, 99 Research Associates, 235 Temporary Staff)
- 475 Trainees (136 Residents, 160 MD Fellows, 179 Post-Docs)
- $125.7M Sponsored Research ($79.4 million in federal grants, $32.9 million in non-federal grants, $23.4 million in clinical grants)
- 556 Grants (4 Program Projects, 70 R-01s, 32 Ks, 21 Us, 14 Training, 36 other Federal Awards, 379 Non-Fed & Clinical Trials)