The Department of Medicine is committed to setting the highest standards for patient care, ground-breaking biomedical research, professional education, teaching, and training.
We are devoted to advancing the science of medicine by developing new methods to prevent, diagnose, and treat all aspects of human disease and strive to provide compassionate and pioneering health care to all of our patients.
Founded in 1909, the Department of Medicine has been a leader in education, leadership, discovery, and excellence. Take a peek at the Department's achievements over the past 100 years.
- Stanford University School of Medicine is ranked 2nd place among all medical schools in U.S. News & World Report in 2014.
- In 2014, Department total research expenditures were $111 million, with an increase in direct expenditures of 6.5% from 2013.
- In 2014, the NIH funded over $72 million in grant and contract expenses for the Stanford Department of Medicine.
- The Department has approximately 393 full time faculty, 752 staff, 119 postdoctoral fellows, 75 research associates and 18 Teaching Assistants.
- The clinical faculty sees over 170,000 patient visits per year.
- Among the faculty are 4 members of the National Academy of Sciences, 3 members of the Institute of Medicine, 29 members of the Association of American Physicians, and 41 members of the American Society of Clinical Investigation.
- The Department has 120 residents.
- The Department has 16 fellowships for nearly 150 fellows who are training in Internal Medicine and its subspecialties.